CHECK OUT THESE SIDETRIPS!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A PATH OF FAITH: Church Visit in Southern Iloilo

It was originally planned that we do a Visita Iglesia last Holy Week. I was excited not because of the trip but because I really, really need to talk to Him and strengthen my faith once again. But due to some circumstances it didn't push through. And one early morning while I had an insomnia attack, this thought came through. I will embark on a solo commute journey (since I was fairly familiar in commuting to the South), on a post-Holy Week church visit, to continue my purpose of seeking His presence. And so I did just that one bright and hot summer day.



Stained glass image of Jesus, Villa Church


I prepared my itinerary the night before, beginning with Miag-ao Church and my last destination to be Molo Church. I didn't include San Joaquin because it was too far for me already, and because I started late. At 9 AM I went to Molo to ride the Miag-ao-bound jeepney. I originally planned to catch a Miag-ao jeepney at Iloilo Terminal Market (or Super), but discarded it because it would take much longer time (jeepneys are waiting for passengers to fill-up). The ride took about an hour and 30 minutes, and the jeepney dropped me off right in front of the church. 



Miag-ao Church: UNESCO World Heritage Site

And just in time I went inside the compound of Miag-ao Church a funeral procession was exiting, and so I immediately went inside to pray. I also saw some tourists taking pictures of the church, and while I was beginning my prayer they were ushered out by a church staff because it will be closed for the day. Oh no. So I paused and asked the staff if it was alright for me to stay, and gently said yes because the side gate was still open. Relief, and I resumed my prayer.



Miag-ao Church interior

Since it was almost lunchtime, my original plan was to eat at this hillside restaurant in Miag-ao where a friend introduced us to way back then. Problem is I forgot the name, and I looked out for it while on the way to Miag-ao but I couldn't find it. I thought maybe it has closed. But on my way to Guimbal, there I saw the inconspicuous sign: The Hilltop. Bummer, the jeep was going too fast. Might as well pray in Guimbal Church and have my lunch at South Park Grill instead. Maybe it's destined for another trip to Miag-ao ^_^.



Bantayan Festival in Guimbal

On my way to Miag-ao, I saw banners in Guimbal Plaza announcing the 11th Bantayan Festival which started yesterday April 2, 2013 until April 6, 2013. Just my luck, but not so lucky because I couldn't come back to witness this event.



Guimbal Church

As I approached Guimbal Church, uh-oh the front door was closed. Asking around some bystanders, they said it was open earlier because of a mass and said to try the side of the church, and yes it was open. Prayers resumed. 


Guimbal Church Interior


After talking to Him, I hailed a tricycle to South Park Grill which was about ten minutes away from the poblacion. Click here for my experience at the grill.


Tigbauan Church


Next stop was Tigbauan Church, and unfortunately a funeral mass is going on. So I said my prayers but did not took pictures inside due to respect for the mourners.



Oton Church

Another funeral mass was about to start in Oton Church, so I said my prayers in front of the church ^_^. On to Villa Church.



Villa Church


When I arrived at Villa Church I thought to myself another closed church. But again I tried the side entrance and it was open! Next stop is Molo Church, but before that I had a brief rest in Molo County Bakeshop. Click here to read about it.



Molo Church

My last stop, Molo Church, the church known for its statue of women saints. Instead of a funeral, I arrived just in time for a wedding. Good for the couple ^_^. So I asked the friendly guard if I could still go inside and say my prayers, he said yes and I could do it at the side of the altar. As I went towards the altar I noticed pictures of women saints. And so before I left, I peeked at the statues to get a glimpse. I haven't got a picture because the wedding was about to start ^_^.



Left side view of the altar

Hmmm, wait a minute. Did I say Molo Church was my last stop? But I haven't finished my prayers! 




San Jose Parish Church


Yes actually I have recognized this deficiency while I was still in Miag-ao, so I included the San Jose Parish Church in downtown Iloilo City in Plaza Libertad . And I think it was also a funeral mass that I run into ~_~.



Interior of the church


I pray to those who has departed , and Best Wishes to the newly-wed couple ^_^.

THOUGHTS TO PONDER

And so my journey ends, but my spiritual quest does not. I used to have doubts about Christianity, and I have confessed this to our Parish Priest. But what he told me made my faith stronger. Questions and doubts are good, because they lead to wisdom and enlightenment. And so even though I don't have that much faith in other images of the Catholic Church, I have a much stronger faith in Jesus Himself since then. Although I am not a regular church-goer, but I much prefer to talk to Him on my own. This way it is much personal. And although I am not a hard-core Catholic who like others regularly go to mass and attend prayer meetings and other organizations, I look down to those people who claim they are much more Catholic than me but their ways and their words prove them otherwise. 

Indeed talking about religion is hard, and it should not be a topic for debate. I also respect other religions, and I am wondering why do people still fight in the name of their respective religion? The answer I leave behind to those people involved. God bless us all ^_^.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...